Jailbreaking your PlayStation 3 (PS3) has never been easier, with Geohot’s newest jailbreak tool. All you need is an USB memory stick and any computer that can download some files and install them on the stick. StealthBravo posted these instructions on Pastie, and we haven’t found anything better, so use these steps and you should find success.
With geohot’s PS3 jailbreak, you /can’t/ play backup games or /pirated/ games or whatever you choose to call them. You can install packages with the provided installer. More packages will be coming from the PS3 jailbreak community in the coming weeks and months.
To Jailbreak PS3 on 3.55 only:
1. Plug a USB stick into your computer
2. Create a folder in the root of the USB stick called PS3
3. Create a folder inside the PS3 folder called UPDATE
5. Unzip Jailbreak.zip to PS3UPDAT.PUP
6. Move PS3UPDAT.PUP to the directory UPDATE that you just created on the USB stick
7. Plug the USB stick into your PS3
8. Navigate to Settings Tab
9. Choose System Update
10. Choose Update via Storage Media
11. It will say it found Version 3.55-jb
12. Choose OK
13. Accept Conditions and Install Update
14. After less than a minute, your PS3 will update, beep 4 times then shut down.
15. Power up your PS3 (You will have to do it on the console and not by the controller)
16. Your PS3 is now jailbroken!
There are no real useful packages for the PS3 jailbreak, yet, but here’s how you will install custom/homebrew packages on your PS3. This uses a test package that Geohot created, just to show that it works.
To Install Packages:
1. Plug your USB stick into your computer
2. Drop into the root of the USB stick
3. Plug your USB stick into your PS3
4. Navigate to the Game Tab
5. Choose Install Package Files
6. Select the test.pkg
7. After it installs you will find the test package from geohot installed below the Install Package Files folder
8. Wait for more packages to be created by the PS3 community
Could I play games I’ve downloaded from the web on PS3 3.55?
How exactly could I do this?
Do I need an external hdd?
Mike McKinnon says
Wow. The first line of the quote says you CAN’T play back up games. I’ve there is a way to do this, but we haven’t reported on it.
hi guys when i click the link for the pkg (packages) it shows unvailibable?
is there another way to get the packages thank
ive used kakaroto jb will this still work with geohot Pkgs?
how do i remove the KR Jailbreak
how do i know if i jailbroke my ps3 please reply
Mike McKinnon says
Look for the “Install Packages” folder under System.
does this do hacks for mw2 like challenge lobbies please reply and where are the packedges on this site
YEAH IT DOES WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS DOWNLOAD BLACK BOX FOR YOUR PS3 AND FILEZILLA THE RED ICON ONE ON YOU COMPUTER THEN YOU GO INTO BLACK BOX ON YOUR PS3 IT WIL SHOW YOU AN IP YOU GO TO YOUR COMPUTER AND IN THE HOST BAR TYPE THAT IP THEN IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT HAND SQUARE GO TO HDD0 THEN GAME THEN BLUS 303077 THEN USIDR THEN COPY THE PATCH YOU WANT INTO THERE AND GO INTO THE GAME AND YOU CAN HOST CHALLANGE LOBBIES
sory but it says unavailable when i click on the link is there any other way plz plz plz reply
i dont get how it says download then the next thing please help ?/