I found an interesting discovery today while briefly scanning Joshua Hill’s (P0sixninja) twitter account. In fact this discovery could very well mean the Dev-Team are working on an alternative to iTunes for jailbreakers. Now why would the Dev-Team spend time creating an iTunes alternative? Well I assume it would be because if users started using an iDevice managing solution that was build from the ground up by Jailbreak Developers. It would make the firmware restoration process (while using tools such as the PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze) a heck of a lot more error free/reliable and also give users who have jailbroken iDevices specific Cydia managing features. Knowing the Dev-Team I am sure they would also throw in a lot of extra features that users have been wanting to see in iTunes for awhile now. Such as the ability to take songs directly off an iDevice and the ability to sync iDevices to multiple computers.
Take a look at Joshua’s twitter reply below…
Now obviously this is a twitter conversation, and nothing more, so it is important not to get your hopes to high. However, it is interesting how Joshua said “something will be released soon“, compared to a “we may be looking into this in the future” response. Personally if the Dev-Team are going to be releasing an alternative to iTunes, these would be my top 5 desires.
- Sync with Multiple Computers: This is pretty self explanatory but it would be nice to see the ability to be able to sync an iDevice with multiple computers without wiping your iDevice’s library every single time.
- iDevice to Computer Music Transfer: Yes you can transfer music to your iDevice, but iTunes restricts you from being able to do the reverse. I would like to see built in support for both transferring to and from my iDevice.
- USB Storage Support: No I do not want to use all of my iDevice’s storage on storing files, but it would nice to have the option to store a couple documents on my iDevice for easy file transportation now-and-then.
- Cydia Package Manager: Wouldn’t it be great if iTunes allowed you to manage your 3rd party apps/tweaks. Well there is no question this will not be a feature coming to iTunes, but it would be very useful if the Dev-Team allowed you to manage your apps/tweaks on your iDevice from your computer. Such functionality in my mind would include the ability to download cydia tweaks right from your computer and install/uninstall them to your iDevice just like the iTunes AppStore. It would also include the ability to perform 1 click installation of themes.
- Restore Custom IPSW’s: If you have tried to restore a custom IPSW through iTunes, you will know how many errors you very well may have faced. If the Dev-Team did release an alternative to iTunes I can see them somehow making restoring custom IPSW files more reliable.
If the Dev-Team were developing an alternative to iTunes for jailbreakers what would your top 5 desires be? Let us know in the comments section below or even in our forums.