ClockworkMod Recovery is of utmost importance for customizing an Android device with custom ROMs. Today, we will be showing you how to install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 126.96.36.199 on the Samsung Galaxy S III i9300.
This custom recovery has been updated to version 6.0. The most prominent change that comes with the new version is the mandatory NANDroid backup. Previously, many users had to skip backing up since a lot of memory was sacrificed. This time however; the backups are faster, and only of 15 – 20 MB in size. The credit for reducing the size of the backup goes to Koushik Dutta, the developer of ClockworkMod Recovery.
This is the touch-based CWM Recovery, and won’t require the pressing of all those buttons. You can perform functions with the help of your fingertips.
- Instructions should be only applied to the Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300.
- There is no guarantee that these instructions will work.
- This guide is to be followed your own risk. It’s recommended you read the instructions twice before performing the steps.
- Windows PC with handset USB drivers installed.
- USB debugging needs to be enabled.
- Disable your antivirus, firewalls, and other such security programs.
- Close Samsung Kies and any other softwares that may access your device.
- Download ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 188.8.131.52 (link)
- Download Odin3 v3.04 (link)
- Backup all of your data, this means everything on your phone. This procedure will erase everything.
- Extract Odin3_v3.04.zip to any preferred folder on the handset.
- Power off your device.
- Boot your Galaxy S III into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home, and Power Keys until the screen turns on. Press Volume Up to continue into Download Mode.
- Launch Odin3 v3.04 ‘.exe’ file.
- Connect your Galaxy S III to your computer with a USB cable. Odin should recognize your phone and once it does, you will receive a message on the lower left of the message box ‘Added’.
- Click on the ‘PDA’ button in Odin, and browse for the ‘.tar’ CWM file and select it.
- Do not make any other changes in Odin, and make sure that the option for “Re-Partition” remains “UNCHECKED”.
- In Odin, click on ‘Start’ and Odin will start installing the recovery image on your Galaxy S III.
- Now you will see a’PASS’ message in the Odin window and your Galaxy S III should reboot automatically. However, if Odin gets stuck, or gives a ‘FAIL’ message, shut down Odin and Power off the device after disconnecting it. Remove the back cover and re-insert it again, and repeat the procedure from step 3 where you entered Download Mode.
- Once the Samsung logo is displayed the Galaxy S III can be disconnected from the PC.
- The ClockworkMod Touch Recovery can now be accessed by turning off your phone and holding down the Home and Volume up buttons for about 5 seconds.
You have successfully completed installing ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 184.108.40.206. You can now use the touch controls to tap through the custom ROMs, mods, tweaks, and hacks for your device. Feel free to leave comments if you are stuck or need help.