Notice: Undefined variable: dd_override_start_anchor_id in /home/ijailbre/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/digg-digg.php on line 351
Notice: Undefined variable: dd_override_top_offset in /home/ijailbre/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/digg-digg.php on line 352
It has been announced via a post on the official XBMC website that XBMC is now available for the Apple TV 2, iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch; and for those of you wondering, no, they’re not just remotes or initial ports. They’re actual, full fledged adaptations built for the designated device. This is what the XBMC team had to say in the announcement:
Apple TV 2
This thing may fit in your pocket, but don’t underestimate its power. Unfortunately, it is seriously lacking in capability due to its limited feature-set revolving around rentals and iTunes. Where’s the fun in that?
- Full XBMC install, this is not a remote or thin client streamer.
- No longer is your AppleTV2 chained to iTunes.
- Who wants transcoded video anyway?
- Share files on your network your way.
- Full hardware decode for 720p/1080p movies.
- Everything else you know and love about XBMC.’
- What good is a tablet that makes you play by its rules? We at XBMC want our media our way.
iPad And iPhone 4
- You guessed it, this is full-blown XBMC. Not a remote.
- Launch XBMC like any other app.
- Drag and drop media from your computer, or share it on your home-network
- Also fully hardware accelerated for most formats.
- Works on iPhone4, though it’s currently frustrating to use.
- Challenge: Who will be the first to create a gesture-driven skin?
To learn a little more about XBMC, you can head over to the ‘About’ section on xbmc.org, or you can get started by checking out our how to guides: