Notice: Undefined variable: dd_override_start_anchor_id in /home/ijailbre/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/digg-digg.php on line 351
Notice: Undefined variable: dd_override_top_offset in /home/ijailbre/public_html/wp-content/plugins/digg-digg/digg-digg.php on line 352
This is a guide for rooting the HTC One S for Windows, Mac, and Linux using Superboot. Superboot is credited to PaulObrien of the MoDaCo forums.
Disclaimer: iJailbreak is not responsible for any damages caused by using Superboot, however unlikely they may be. All mods are run at the modder’s risk.
Part 1 – Get Superboot
Superboot is the program that will root your HTC One S.
- Step 1. Download Superboot. You can download Superboot from the original thread by clicking here.
- Step 2. Extract Superboot to the folder of your choice. If you are unfamiliar with .Zip, they are archive folders which can be opened or extracted. Current builds of Windows and Mac have built in methods for extracting .Zip archives. If you are using an older version of Windows, install 7-zip and then right-click to select the option “extract here” to unzip the folder.
(If you are using Mac or Linux and are unfamiliar with using Terminal, extract the folder to your desktop and we will walk you through the process.)
Part 2 – Put your phone in bootloader mode.
Bootloader mode will allow your phone to be flashed with unsigned partition images, which means it allows you to modify software on your phone in ways you would not normally be able to. We’re going to use this mode to root your phone.
- Step 1. First turn the phone off.
- Step 2. Next, turn the phone back on while holding down the “volume down” button.
- Step 3. Press the power button again to enter fastboot mode.
Part 3 – Run the Superboot program.
- Step 1. Attach your phone to your computer with the USB cable.
- Step 2. If you are using Windows: you don’t have to type anything out. Just open the ‘install-superboot-windows.bat’ file. You’re done
- Step 2. If you are using a Mac or Linux: you will need to open a terminal window to the directory you extracted the file to.
If the extracted folder is on your desktop, enter the following command into the terminal window:
(Where USERNAME is your Mac/Linux username.)
This will change the directory (cd) to the extracted folder on your desktop.
- Step 3. If you are using Mac, run the command ‘chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh’ followed by ‘./install-superboot-mac.sh’
- Step 3. If you are using Linux, run the command type ‘chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh’ followed by ‘./install-superboot-linux.sh’
(chmod +x will give the program permission to execute or run, while . executes the program)
At this point, your phone should be rooted. You can safely delete the Superboot files from your computer, or keep them on hand for later use. If you have any issues with the Superboot software, the original MoDaCo and XDA-developers forum threads provide amazing support.
Let us know if Superboot works for your HTC One S in the comments section below.