As I am sure all of you are aware Google has announced Ice Cream Sandwich. With it comes hundreds of new features, and a universal Tablet/Phone operating system. The SDK has been released, which is what makes this port possible. NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYDAY PHONES! There are a number of known issues with this including:
- Data and NFC
- Panorama Mode
- Camera Bugs
- 3G (Not for everyone, but some)
If you have a Nexus S, and are up for the challenge simply follow the tutorial posted below. This isn’t an official release, keep that in mind through the entire process. Before starting you should, of course, back everything up. This WILL wipe everything off your phone, and you don’t want to lose that precious data. Also keep in mind this will wipe the SD card.
Before installing this you will have to root your phone. (If you already have done this skip ahead) When you root, you will not only get Root Access but also Clockwork Mod Recovery and your bootloader will be unlocked.
- You can download the rooting files from here. Extract the files to your desktop.
- Install the drivers for your system. You can check in Computer/Properties if you don’t know if your computer is a 32-bit or 64-bit system.
- Under Settings/Applications/Development on your phone make sure USB debugging is turned OFF.
- Right click the run.bat file and run as admin. Simply follow the on-screen instructions.
Next we will do what is called “Flashing the ROM”. You can download the file from here.
- Plug your phone in, and drag the .ZIP file to the root of your phone.
- Turn your phone off. After it completely turns off you have to enter recovery mode by holding the Volume Up button while turning on your phone. You will be greeted by the Clockwork Mod Recovery Menu.
- You need to choose “Wipe Data/factory reset”. Let that finish.
- Once your back at the menu select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Find the ICS rom and select it by holding the power button. Let it do its magic.
You’re done! If you have tried this leave a comment with how the process went.