Today Windows Phone owners all rejoice as the news that ChevronWP7 is now open for unlocking (which is essentially the equivalent to it being jailbroken).
As we mentioned before, ChevronWP7 was working with Microsoft on an easy, legal way to jailbreak the Windows Phone. With the combination of Microsoft and the development team, ChevronWP7 has produced a very easy way to jailbreak your Windows Phone. There is one small catch with this approach to jailbreaking, there is a fee. The main advantage of using their tool, the warranty is still valid!
The procedure is the easiest jailbreaking steps yet:
- First thing, head on over to ChevronWP7 Labs where, with your Windows Live account in hand, log in to their website.
- Using Paypal or a supported card purchase an unlock token from them, which is only valid for one phone.
- Download and install the unlock tool to your Windows Phone.
- Once you launch the unlock tool, you must wait as your phone has been placed in a virtual line-up with ChevronWP7 development team.
- When the ChevronWP7 team accepts your device from the queue, your device will be finally unlocked!
- Now you are free to install all sorts of homebrew apps onto your Windows Phone!
Much like rooting and jailbreaking, unlocking your Windows Phone allows you to install apps or tweaks which are unauthorized from the Windows Phone Marketplace or for some reason did not make it to it. These most often alter a portion of the UI that Microsoft doesn’t want changed, or an app for some reason they decided shouldn’t be available. Unlocking your phone this way is a nice way around paying the $99 to become a licensed Windows Phone developer and have access to making your own applications to run on the device.