Earlier this month, we told about Rock being acquired by Cydia. The two have basically merged. Today there was an update to the Rock App, removing the capability to purchase or download apps, making the merger complete. Yes, the Rock store is now officially closed.
Rock app has been around for about a year and a half, but has made quite an impact on the jailbreak community. They brought some competition to Cydia, as well as an alternative place for jailbreak developers to sell their apps. With this merger, all sales are now moved to Cydia, making Cydia the one and only place to get your jailbreak apps and tweaks.
Here’s what the Rock app has to say, in parting with the jailbreak community:
After 18 months in the iOS Jailbreak scene Rock has been acquired by SaurikIT (makers of Cydia) and over the next few days we will be moving all products/users/licenses over to Cydia Store.
Licenses Transferring to Cydia Store
We have worked hard together with SaurikIT/Cydia to ensure a very smooth transition where all customers will retain their App licenses and be able to install them through Cydia at will. If you already have a Cydia Store login, your licenses have already transferred. Those who do not have a Cydia Store login, simply use (or create) your Google Account/Facebook account to login to Cydia Store, and your licenses will transfer automatically. If you’ve changed devices in the last day or two, don’t worry. You can simply type in your RockID and your licenses will transfer over.
Thank you for making us so successful!
For those of us at Rock, it has been an amazing journey (not to mention incredibly tiring – ha). Here are what we think are some incredible and interesting facts about Rock. For all of this we only have one person to thank and that’s you our customer. Without you all there would have been no Rock and we hope we have served you well and you have enjoyed the innovations we were able to bring to the world of jailbreaking.
Fun Rock Facts
- Number of Developers with apps listed in the Rock Store: 124 (from 19 countries)
- Unique iOS devices that installed Rock: 4.6 million (from 220 countries/territories) – Wow that is a lot of places!
- Registered Rock Users: 2+ million
- Number of App licenses sold: 500,000
- Users of who took the plunge and bought something: 280,000 (from 185 countries)
- Users who said screw it and installed a hacked version instead: 38 billion (please send us $1)
- Total Rock Your Phone Store Sales (March 12th, 2009 – September 2010): $3.3+ million
- Number of Rock Employees (we are using the word employee loosely here but, hey, it is our company): 9
The landscape of the jailbreak community is changing, but for the better, I think. There can still be competition between developers, in the same store. Having everything regulated and maintained by Saurik, will make our jailbroken devices more stable, as the team ensures everything works well together. – rorypiper