Even though iOS 6.1 was released to the public only days ago, Apple has begun seeding a new beta version of iOS to developers that focuses pretty heavily on map enhancements for Japan, dubbed iOS 6.1.1 beta 1. It is a known fact that Apple is looking to better capitalize on the international market, and this update definitely shows us that. Right now the release notes really are strictly to do with map enhancements for Japan, there is nothing else shown in the changelog.
When beta 2 comes around we could see additional map enhancements for other countries around the world, or maybe Apple is just rushing a small update to include a patch for the iOS 6.x Untethered Jailbreak that came in the form of Evasi0n. Who knows…
iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 includes the following improvements to Maps for Japan:
- Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
- Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
- Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
- Updated freeway color to green
- Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
Let us know if you find any other changes in the iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 firmware in the comments section below.