Apple has seeded the 3rd Developer Preview for OS X Mountain Lion to its loyal developers who will be working really hard to tell us what’s new in the coming days. It has been quite some time since the last developer preview and just like the previous preview this new one features a lot of bugs as well. For those that are not aware OS X Mountain Lion bridges the gap between Mac OS X and iOS and brings a lot of iOS features such as Notification Centre to the desktop.
Here’s what Apple says is wrong with the latest version of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion:
- On systems with FileVault enabled, canceling the restart to the Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 Installer may leave your system unable to present a password dialog at boot time. You can repair the problem by holding down command-R to boot to the Recovery OS and then using Disk Utility to unlock and Repair your volume.
- Installing OS X 10.8 over 10.7.2 or earlier with FileVault turned on may fail
- Pre-Lion FileVault user accounts are not supported in this Developer Preview
- Some Apple menu items such as Restart may not work when a sandboxed app is in the foreground
- iTunes no longer syncs Notes
- Mail’s photo browser cannot access the iPhoto library
- Back to My Mac doesn’t work for the first 5 minutes after rebooting
- DVD Player may not launch after inserting a DVD on some systems
- Most help topics are unavailable in this Developer Preview
- In the Recovery HD:
– Some icons may be missing
– Network Utility’s Lookup pane does not work
– Time Machine restoration via a AFP share does not work
– Restoring from a Time Machine backup via AFP does not work
- Migration from a Time Machine backup that excludes paths such as /System may yield an unusable system
- Brightness settings may change unexpectedly after reboot
- Display brightness may be dim after sleep or reboot
- If Mail is hidden at logout time, it may not be correctly relaunched during a subsequent login but will appear to be running
- Java applets may not work in Safari
- QuickTime screen recordings may produce corrupted videos or cause an exception when run on machines with NVDIA graphics
The 3rd Developer Preview of Mountain Lion comes as Build 12A178q and can be downloaded from the Mac Dev Center. Remember, you have to be a member to be able to download it. We’ll let you know about any new and significant changes very soon.
Download OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Developer 3 [Mac Dev Center link]
Have you tried the latest Developer Preview of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion? If so, share your thoughts about it in the comments section.