The PwnageTool 4.0 Has Just Been Released For a iOS4 Jailbreak!
As it is a busy time in the jailbreaking community there is a lot of question regarding jailbreaking the new iOS4 firmware. If you have an original iPod Touch (1g) or an iPhone 2g you do not need to worry about jailbreaking the iOS4 firmware because it will not be released for your device anytime soon. As the hardware specs for your device is not high enough to handle multitasking or custom wallpapers (or so says Apple…). However if you have an iPod Touch 2g (Non MC) an iPhone 3G or 3GS then you can jailbreak your device with the PwnageTool 4.0 which was just released today. The only device that this new Pwnage Tool 4.0 does not support is the iPod Touch 3G, however we should see this device support soon. Before you jump ahead and jailbreak your device with the Pwnage Tool 4.0 read over this message from the Dev-Team…
Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.
NB: With PwnageTool 4.0 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by our software. We’re working on ways to get past these restrictions.
- iPhone 2G - not supported
- iPod Touch – not supported
- iPod Touch 3G – not supported
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
iPod touch 2G
- If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
- iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions. Once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.0, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and you’ll be unlocked.
- Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please don’t expect an unlock – but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
If you read over the requirements you can see that there are a lot of them. Make sure you read over your devices requirements a few times to make sure you haven’t missed anything. For more info from the dev-team you check their blog by clicking here. The Pwnage Tool 4.0 is only for Mac unfortunately, however if you have windows check out RedSn0w Beta 3 which can jailbreak the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2g (Non MC). Have you guys used this new Pwnage Tool 4.0 to jailbreak your iDevice?