Well folks, it finally happened. That is right! The official Google Maps application has just been released for the iPhone and iPod Touch and it was definitely worth the wait. I have only briefly tested out the new Google Maps app, but let me tell you, it is definitely a huge improvement over the previous stock Google Maps app.
Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
- Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
- Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
- Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
- Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
- Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
- Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
- View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
- See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
- View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
- An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
- Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
- Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.
Apple got rid of the default Google Maps app in the iOS 6 firmware generation in favour of their own in-house solution. Although Apple claimed that its new mapping application would be an upgrade over its previous Google offering, this was unfortunately not the case.
Apple’s Maps app features some of the best 3D models of cities available, but it lacks in almost every other area. The fruit company’s mapping platform is just too inaccurate. In fact, just recently Apple Maps caused motorists to get stranded in Australia due to giving wrong directions.
While Apple Maps will obviously get better with time, Google’s new mapping application will tide you over to say the least. It is currently available in the App Store for free and can be downloaded using the link below.
Download Google Maps for iOS [iTunes Store Link]