Apple today has updated its iBooks application for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad to version 1.5. iBooks 1.5 adds the following new features as well as some stability and performance improvements:
- Nighttime reading theme makes reading books in the dark easier on the eyes.
- Full-screen layout lets you focus on the words without distraction.
- iBooks now features an improved selection of fonts, including Athelas, Charter, Iowan, and Seravek.
- Beautiful new classic covers for public domain books.
- A redesigned annotation palette makes it easier to choose a color for your highlighted text.
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books. iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest best-selling books or your favorite classics – day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and bookmark or add notes to your favorite passages.
- Download many of your favorite books from the included iBookstore.
- Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it a part of your collection.
- Reorder your books on your bookshelf or browse them in a list sorted by title, author, or category.
- Organize your books and PDFs into personal Collections. Swipe left or right to jump between Collections.
- Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment.
- Change the font size and pick from six included type faces to make your books more comfortable to read.
- Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature.
- Keep your bookmarks, notes, and your current page wirelessly in sync between iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with the new automatic bookmark syncing feature.
- Quickly find a specific page using the page navigator at the bottom of every page.
- Read your books on white or sepia colored pages.
- Choose left or fully justified text layout from Settings.
- Highlight your favorite passages and add notes with the built-in bookmarking features.
- Add books in the industry-standard ePub electronic book format to iTunes and sync them to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Add PDF documents to iBooks from Mail, or add them to iTunes and sync them to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Print PDF documents and notes you’ve written in iBooks using AirPrint.
- Use iBooks with the amazing accessibility features in iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – such as speaking the words on a given page.
- iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch (2nd generation), iPod touch (3rd generation), or iPod touch (4th generation) is required.
- iPhone or iPod touch must have iOS 4 or later.
- The iBookstore is available in many countries. The selection of books in the iBookstore may vary by country.
- An Apple ID is required to download from the iBookstore.
- Automatic bookmark syncing requires an active Wi-Fi or cellular data connection and an Apple ID.\
- iBooks only opens books published in the ePub electronic book format or documents in the PDF format.
- To add ePub books from outside the iBookstore to iBooks, they must be DRM-free and synced using iTunes 9.2 or later.
- Some PDF documents may not be compatible with iBooks.
Download iBooks from the AppStore for iPhone/iPod Touch (iTunes link)
Download iBooks from the AppStore for iPad (iTunes link)